A business without planning is a derelict,a reactive company, consumed by the day to day. An organization without priorities unable to work on what needs to be done.The most important of planning is not the plan, but the planning itself.
Related articles: Why You Must Link Your Personal Goals With Your Business?
The planning process is critical to decision making. It allows you to anticipate events (react in advance), to establish an action plan and to set goals and priorities for the company. In other words, it provides a guide to get from point A to point B. To set this guide the company must know its starting point: Resources available, customers, competitive advantages and disadvantages, competitors, industry,opportunities and risks in the market and its major achievements and failures; in order to establish where it wants to go and how to do it. Likewise, when setting goals is easier to focus people efforts to achieve them.
“In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.” Dwight D. Eisenhower
Why plans are useless?No matter how good it's your plan, other actors such as your competitors do not follow it. Moreover, it is highly probable that even before applying it; it will no longer be appropriate. In addition, there is always the possibility that things go wrong. That's why the approach to planning as a continuous process used by the Military Decision-Making Process (MDMP) is more effective.
The Military Decision-Making Process (MDMP)
- It allows the rapid integration of new players in process
- It integrates and coordinates efforts while minimizing the risk of overlooking a critical aspect of the operation
- It thoroughly examines numerous friendly (company) and enemy (competitor) courses of action
- It produces a detailed and clear operation plan
- Estimates go on continuously to provide important inputs for the MDMP, even during the execution of the plan.
Finally, remember that anticipation, organization, and prior preparation are the keys to success in a time-constrained environment. So get the planning done!