- In the last 30 years, mankind has produced more information than in the previous 5,000.
- 205 billion emails are sent daily.
- Employees receive an average of 121 mails per day.
- Each minute there are 3,125,000 new likes on Facebook and 350,000 fresh tweets sent on Twitter.
- On average, professionals spend 51% of their workday receiving and managing information, rather than actually using information to do their jobs.
"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." Oscar WildeTherefore, you must be able to offer good, dynamic, and attractive stories to your target audience, so that when they get your message, they won't discard it at first sight.
Although storytelling is not a new concept, not all companies have implemented it correctly. Not every story will allow you to benefit of this technique. Brands must learn to do it right, in order to connect with your audience on an emotional level, and generate empathy with their values.
How Can You Achieve Effective Storytelling?
1. Define what your target audience
Our stories are not meant for everyone. No matter how good your story, there will always be those who do not like it. Your message must be transmitted in such a way that your audience can identify with the settings and characters of your story. Before you start creating your story, take the time to analyze your target audience: who they are, what motivates them, what they like, what they do, etc.
These are few questions that might help you achieve this:
- Does this audience currently buy something similar to your product or service elsewhere?
- How does your product or service help your targeted audience or what problem does it solve for your audience?
- What are your marketing demographics?(Age, location, Gender, Income Level, Education Level, Marital/Family Status, Occupation).
- What specific things do your buyers have in common?
- What are your marketing psychographics? (Personality, Attitudes, Values, Interests/Hobbies, Lifestyles, Behaviors)
- What drives your target audience to make buying decisions?
- How can you best reach your target audience?
Once you know your audience you must define what your objective. What do you want to accomplish with your story? Perhaps you want to increase your sales or establish your brand, educate the customer, etc.
Based on your goal, you must choose which emotions you want to trigger in order to captivate your audience. Not all products are sold through the same emotion.
Take your audience's emotions to the limit. Have you noticed that movie trailers make you experience different emotions in a short period of time? The reason behind this strategy is that when the mind is faced with these changes in emotions, it remains active and tends to remember more; and when the mind is exposed too long to the same emotion, it tends to get bored.
3. + Media - Words
A great story in words is a good idea for a book. However, if you want the attention of people use the media. Humans are visual creatures. 90% of information transmitted to the brain is visual, and visuals are processed 60,000X faster in the brain than text.
Blog entries with videos are shared on average 3 times more.
The best stories go beyond the words, they let your imagination fly before surprising you.
4. Be Simple
Being simple is complex. The purpose of your story is to appeal to the emotions, and the statistics do not inspire, do not make them the stars of your story. Instead, use everyday characters with which your audience can relate to.
You must not forget that every good story has a structure, and yours should have it as well. Any story has a beginning, a mid-portion, a climax, and an end. You can play with the structure but make sure your story is complete.
Moreover, make your story easy to understand. Use the body language of characters, and add details to give authenticity and originality to each scene. If you do it right there is much that can be left unsaid, but the imagination of the audience will complete. It will also help you to make your story memorable and comprehensible.
5. Your story should be attractive from the beginning
Many people want to leave the best for last. Nevertheless, the start is equally important. If you do not get them hooked from the start. They will discard you, and all the valuable content you were going to offer because they got bored.